Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Girls Camp 2009 - Camp Z

Wow, is Girls Camp REALLY over?
This year, our stake went to Camp Zarahemla.....or Camp Z as we call it. It was beautiful, but about 2 1/2 hrs away, around the other side of Mt.Rainier.
Leaving at 5am.........it came REALLY early! But we had such cute, sweet girls with Amy, myself, and all the BEADS & CRAFTS!
The drive was breath taking.....especially for Kelsey & Amy - they're not fans of heights, and let's just say it was like driving along a cliff through & past White Pass..........
Tunell's through the mountain side...........of course!
Old trucks carrying VERY un-secured loads right in front of us - why yes..............and a 20+ minute wait along the side of the road as they worked on securing the hill sides for avalanche control...........
It was a great week.............we got "egged" by the 6th years..........
Goofed off as a stake into the wee hours of the night........
Worked our behinds off during craft time/free time/service project........and oh yeah, the rest of camp! Who ever said we'd have down time with nothing to do was insane! We never stopped....if we weren't teaching a craft, we were organizing bead to hand out - or making new ones that were "just thought of"....
Jumping in to cool off after our 1st craft/free time..........Amy & I had an "appoinment" with Janna & Debbie..............Jana & Lorilee joined us!
The faboulous 6.......Debbie, Janna, Amy, Me, Becky, Lora........
I polar dipped with girls from our ward - LOVE THEM!!!!
Amy & I when we got to camp........Debbie was ready with her camera!
The BEST ASSISTANT EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could not have been so prepared or gotten through camp without Amy - she ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Our Ward.........Victor Falls had the most people there.......37 girls and 11 adults all week........best ward ever!!!!!
Our 6th years.........the best!
Getting ready for our 5k..................yes a 5K!!!!!!!!!! (You could run/walk/cheer)......my back prefers it when I walk - and so do I - so that's what I did - but I did it in 95 degree weather!!!!)
Pranks were plentiful this year..........vaselined toilet seats, rocks thrown at tents, saran-wrapped cabins, and this - my favorite...........crafts was called "Super Crafts", and this is what we found on Wednesday..........the letters had been re-arranged & the "C" ended up on the mens room door....
We had fantastic talks........Kimber & Ashley were wonderful, so was everyone else!
Our adorable 2nd years doing the flag...........
Amy & I presenting beads at WatchTower each day........ this was our last day, which was ironically my birthday.........
Amy & Kimber made me a bead with all 37 girls names from our ward on it.......it's my absolute favorite! Debbie, Janna & Lora had a birthday crown, a huge candybar necklace & a special birthday bead for me too. It was so fun having 150+ people sing me happy birthday!

The 3 best leaders for our camp - Janna (director), Debbie & Lora (her assistants)
Debbie presented Janna with a "golden shoe" on the last day.........along with a gift cert for a pedicure..........
On our way home.............the week went by so fast, but I was SOO tired!
It was a great week, I'm sad it's over - I had a blast. I am definately NOT going to do anything "crafty" for at least a month..........although...........I already have some ideas for next year! :) I have never had a responsibility like this before..........the pressure of pleasing 130 YW from our stake was very nerve wracking!!! It was a real compliment when girls came up to me and said that they never do crafts, but ours were so cool that they had to! Even the girls that do crafts every year said these were the best! Yay!

The beads were a total hit...........I'll try to get a pic of 1 of each that I made & post it in a later blog...we made literally thousands...........it was so fun to watch the girls excitement when they saw what they had earned...........it was all about making sure they had fun & enjoyed what we made for them.........I think we did just that!

2 comments:

Kari said...

I'm so jealous! I love girls camp. I hope I get a chance to go as a leader. Looks like you had a blast.

Jodi Elwell said...

Thanks for this post. I head off to girls camp on Monday kind of dreading it. I have never been and I really don't know what to expect but after reading this I'm kind of excited. Kaylee(my oldest) is going for the first time so I am glad to be there with her. Let me know if you have any last minute advice for me!-Jodi(my email is elwellzoo@msn.com)