Thursday, April 16, 2009

Beads, beads, beads!!!!!

Ok ladies - here's where I need your help! I want to know some of your favorite beads you earned at Girls Camp! I'm the craft/bead person for our stake this year & want it to be the best ever! So please share your favorites crafts or ones you've heard of lately, and the cool beads you've earned & what they for! Our theme for Camp is V.I.R.T.U.E. League - Valiant in Righteousness, True unto Eternity - playing off of the superhero theme.....

I don't feel qualified since I've only ever attended camp as an adult leader.......for those friends from high school - did you know I was ALWAYS jealous of you when you went to camp!? Still am actually - I so wish I could have gone to mutual, attended camp....I totally feel like I missed out! I am so grateful for all of you guys & your example to me - with out it, I wouldn't have found the Church. I'm grateful to be a member & have a strong testimony of the Gospel. I am so grateful for Christ & his sacrifice for us and am in awe that someone could love us so much that he died for us. I am grateful for Tyler and our kids- and love them very much!

Things came full circle for me when our oldest was baptized a couple years ago - I remember telling Tyler, "ok, this is why I've gone through every hard/bad thing - so that my children could have this opportunity to be raised in the Gospel". It has not been an easy road - my family was & still is totally against me being a member & that's hard. (There is so much more to this story, but now isn't the time to share). I miss them very much & would love to have a close relationship with them.

Last Saturday when we were driving to our YW camp hike - and Lorilee drove the wrong way :)......we passed the Temple. The girls were talking about getting to go there someday & I recalled something that gave me strength as a youth. I shared it with them & I guess I'm sharing it with you now too. I grew up on the Sammamish Plateau, although it was still part of Issaquah when I grew up. We were just up the hill from Lk.Sammamish. I remember when we'd leave our neighborhood & drive down Waverly Hills - you could see the statue of Moroni at the top of the Temple - from all the way across the lake and into Bellevue. No matter how hard the day was, our how frustrated I was that my family wouldn't let me join the Church - it always brought me comfort to see Moroni shining in the distance. I knew that I would get there someday, somehow. (I was baptized at 18-although I think I would have joined at 14, had my parents allowed it). My member friends from HS hold a special place in my heart & always will - you were great examples to me - thank you.

Sooo.....with that being said - I'd love ideas/suggestions! I'm so excited for camp - the girls are going to have a blast!

4 comments:

Julie said...

Oh boy Christina! What an example you are to me! I had no idea where my head was in highschool but I didn't know you were investigating the church as early as 14! What a great missionary I was!Oops! To not only be a convert but to do it against the wishes of your family, wow. Your testimony is awesome. Thanks for sharing your feelings about that.

Rachelle said...

Thanks for sharing your testimony! If I have any great bead ideas I will pass them along!

Megan said...

Hi Christina! I got here thru Julies blog. Wow, I'm sorry I was such a terrible example in high school - I feel so guilty about that! I know the situation with your family hasn't been easy for you, but I know the Lord will continue to bless you for your diligence and for being such a great example. Thank you for sharing your testimony.

My favorite beads were the mother & sister beads, skit bead, swimming bead. Not very creative, I know there's way more now! Good luck!

Goff Six Adventures said...

You guys are sweet - you were good examples. I was a big chicken when it came to talking about it! We try hard to teach our kids to be good examples everywhere - because people are always watching (like I was)!