Friday, December 19, 2008

Some of Our Christmas Traditions

Neighbor/VT/HomeTeaching Gifts
Each year I make something....usually it's these...6 different kinds of dipped pretzels. Annette asked what I do with them....so here it is :>) I added a new one this year, Carmel dipped & covered in chocolate - yummy!
Usually we go for a walk as a family to deliver them, this year we took the kids for a ride on the sleds...
GINGERBREAD HOUSE
So last year Ty's mom had the idea (borrowed from the Goff's in UT) to build gingerbread houses as a family...we were totally excited to do this, with each individual family building their own. We were SO disapointed when we all ended up sick and couldn't go! Mom still brought us our kit & we made it when we were feeling better....it was so much fun!!! So this year we wanted to do it again...now you all know the snow here has been crazy....so we did it on our own tonight....here is how it went....
Zach and I put the building together, then the kids jump in, eager to cover it with as much candy as possible!!!
We quickly learned that Ella needed her own bowl of candy, so that the house wouldn't end up a slobbery, sticky mess! She only wanted to eat it anyway!
Zach loves things with pattern, so of course his side of the roof is a perfect pattern....he cracks me up (he's so stinkin' smart!).
Ella LOVED the Christmas candy corn...
Our finished product (from the front)
View from the rear (bet you can't guess which side Zach did!)
Christmas Ornaments
It was a tradition my parents did for me growing up and I loved it. Each year we would get a new ornament of our own and even had our own box of ornaments that I still have today. I remember having them in my first apartment and loved the fact that I had them, all with the year on them, to remember past Christmas' by. So every year, our kids get one too - I wrap them up & hang them on my Advent Calendar that my Great Aunt Gigi in Sweden made for me....for them to open on Christmas Eve.
Now I love Christmas so much, I usually get the kids more than just that one....and about 5 years ago, started making the kids a new one each year too (as you know I love to make things).
This year I made Penguins (I also made Elf's and Penguins for the 4 cousin's we have for Christmas and the Woodworth kids I watch)

Ella was a chatterbox tonight when we went to hang their new ornaments.
The kids were so cute, pointing out all of their ornaments as they hunted for a spot to hang their penguins.
Our tree - yes, it's an artificial one & yes I do miss the fresh tree smell. I do LOVE it though, Tyler & I used to argue about how many lights & where to put them...we don't now - it's a pre-lit tree :). We do always have red wooden bead garland (no offense to those who like tinsel, it's just not my thing), and swedish flags running from top to bottom (just like I grew up with). The rest is a free-for-all, tons of ornaments, many home-made, but all our favorites. We actually have enough ornaments for 2 or 3 trees, and someday we'll get a 2nd one (fresh), but for now - it's our perfect Christmas.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Beautiful! I love your handmade ornaments. It seems like when my kids were all younger I got a lot more done. I have grown lazy in my old age!

Jenn said...

Great traditions Christina! I love the ornament idea. Your tree is beautiful. I'm totally pro artificial.